The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court today stayed the Centre’s order regulating the sale of cattle for slaughter.
The stay was in response to a PIL filed at the high court. A division bench comprising Justice M V Muralidharan and Justice CV Karthikeyan admitted the PIL which said the Centre had no rights to interfere with the food habits of people.
A court intervention was expected as the order infringed on the federal structure of the Constitution. It was also to nosy in nature as it interfered with the eating habits of people.
Also Read: HC Lifts Ban on Water Supply to Coke, Pepsi
Sources say the Centre may modify the order by removing buffaloes from the list while strongly pitching for cow protection.
The Centre had passed the controversial notification on May 23 seeking to regulate the sale of bovines at cattle markets. The order prohibited the sale of animals meant for slaughter from cattle markets. Slaughter houses could procure cattle directly from the farmers.
At the same time, the Centre also tightened the rules for those looking to sell or purchase the animals, thus upsetting cattle owners and beef eaters.
Cows, bulls, buffaloes, calves and camels are among the list of animals that are banned for sale at the cattle markets.
The Centre’s surprise May 23 notification had evoked strong reactions from political parties with the Chief Ministers of Kerala, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu putting their foot down saying that the order was an infringement on the Federal structure of the Constitution.
Don’t Miss To Read: Did Arnab Goswami Steal Footage? Times Now Red-faced
In Kerala, Youth Congress Workers and organisations associated with the Left took out protest marches against the government. In Tamil Nadu, students organised Beef Fest at IIT-Madras.
- Jayalalithaa No Longer a Holy Cow in Tamil Nadu
- PhD Scholar Serves Parathas By Roadside At Night
- Kumble Episode: As Usual, It’s BCCI, The Board of Chaos and Confusion in India
- Burhan Wani Successor Sabzar Bhat Killed in Kashmir Encounter
- Indian Scientists Develop Drones With Human Brain As Command Centre
- KPS Gill: Lion of Punjab and Indian Hockey
- Melania’s Hands Do All the Talking During Trump Visit
- English Blunder And German Excellence In Two Finals Miles Apart
- Buffalo War Grips Kerala as State Upset Over Modi’s New Cattle Law
- Lionel in a huge Messi situation, Gets 21-month sentence for tax fraud Dad Jorge
- Fake News is Venomous
- Facebook’s Manual to Live Streaming Suicides, Crimes: We Don’t Care
- Womb Transplant: Pune Creates Medical History