As hundreds of people gathered in the town of Aizawl in Mizoram to protest against the central government’s ban on selling cattle for slaughter in animal markets, Union Interior Minister Rajnath Singh said the government will not interfere in the choice of food.
Singh, who was on a visit to Aizawl along with Home Minister Kiren Rijiju, said the center will not impose any restrictions on people’s food choices. Singh’s response came at a news conference in which he was asked about the villagers’ protests against the government’s new rule on the sale of livestock.
The protests in Aizawl, organized by a local group, saw a large crowd participate in banquet ban banalizing beef. Organizers wrote on social media that they are protesting against the Center’s attempt to “restrict” their rights to eat what they want. Beef is a basic diet in the Northeastern states, and several such protests have been carried out in the region in recent weeks since the order was announced by the government.
Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu offered similar assurances before the Center’s beef order received massive criticism from several states. The main point of discussion of state leaders was that the government is trying to interfere with people’s choice of food, which is the basic fundamental right.
Singh, chaired the first meeting of the main ministers of the four northeastern states bordering Myanmar on Monday. Following the meeting, Singh said the Interior Ministry will extend security-related expenditure to the state of Mizoram, which lies between Myanmar and Bangladesh.
Read More Latest News:
- Panama Cargo Ship hit-and-run: FIR Registered under IPC 304
- NEET Result 2017: Declare NEET Result, Supreme Court Ordered to CBSE
- Fake News is Venomous
- Trump Signs Executive Order To End H-1B ‘Misuse’
- India must raise ‘boycott Pakistan’ call in all sporting activity
- ISRO Heaviest Rocket Fires into The Orbit
- Did Arnab Goswami Steal Footage? Times Now Red-faced
- PhD Scholar Serves Parathas By Roadside At Night
- Indian Scientists Develop Drones With Human Brain As Command Centre
- Melania’s Hands Do All the Talking During Trump Visit