In a suspected terror strike, 19 people were killed and over 50 hurt as a concert ended at Manchester Arena.
In one of the deadliest attacks in UK, 19 people were killed and over 50 injured in a suspected terror attack at Manchester Arena.
The blast happened at about 11.35 pm Monday UK time as people were trooping out following a pop concert by the US singer Ariana Grande.
The suspected suicide attacker planned the attack to cause maximum damage as he mingled with the crowd that was coming out. He possibly could not have gained entry into the Arena in view of the tight security. The blast took place in the arena’s foyer.
A number of eyewitnesses described the confusion in the aftermath. Andy Holey, who had gone to the arena to pick up his wife and daughter who had been at the concert, said: “As I was waiting, an explosion went off and it threw me about 30ft from one set of doors to the other set of doors.
“When I got up I saw bodies lying on the ground. My first thought was to go into the arena to try to find my family.
“When I couldn’t find them, I went outside with the police and fire and looked through some of the bodies to try and find my wife and daughter.
“I managed to find them eventually and they’re OK.
“It was definitely an explosion and it was some force. It happened near the box office at the entrance to the Arena.”
“The whole building shook. There was a blast and then a flash of fire afterwards. There were bodies everywhere,” another witness said.
The attack comes just days before UK is to go for snap polls. Prime Minister Theresa May suspended her election campaign and condemned “what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack”.
The Prime Minister will chair a meeting of the government’s emergency Cobra committee later, in response to the attack. “We are working to establish the full details” of what had happened in Manchester, she said.
BBC quoted unconfirmed reports from two unnamed US officials that suggested that the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.
Shortly after the blast Manchester Victoria station, which is close to the concert venue, was closed and all trains cancelled.
Read More News:
- First Picture of London Attacker Out
- India to Have Majority of Muslims by 2050
- 32 Million Yahoo Accounts Breached
- Was Jesus Christ Buried in This Tomb Now Opened to Public?
- Trump Signs Executive Order To End H-1B ‘Misuse’
- Facebook Murder Suspect Steve Stephens Kills Himself
- Scandal: Pharma Giant Aspen Plotted to Destroy Cancer Drugs to Drive Prices up 4000%
- Where Will Donald Trump Drop Next Mother of All Bombs? North Korea?
- Attacks On Syria Air Bases : Donald Trump Shows Guts
- Dubai To Introduce Self-Flying EHang Air Taxis in July
- Be Careful About Your Bank Account, North Korea Hackers On the Prowl