Veteran on-screen actress Sridevi has passed away. She was 54.
According to reports, Indian acting icon Sridevi died of cardiac arrest in Dubai on Saturday. She was 54.
Affirming the news of her demise, Sridevi’s brother-in-law, and performing artist Sanjay Kapoor, told IANS: “Yes, it is valid.”
Sanjay, be that as it may, couldn’t uncover more points of interest as he was en route to Dubai.
Sridevi was in Dubai to attend the marriage function of bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor’s cousin Mohit Marwah, along with spouse Boney Kapoor and younger daughter Khushi Kapoor.
Sridevi has known for her performance of the notable movies like “Mr India”, “Nagina”, “Sadma”, “Chaalbaaz”, “Chandni” among numerous others. The Padma Shri beneficiary was most recently seen in “Mother” in 2017.
The news of death came as a stun for everybody in the film business.
Here is what some of the Bollywood personalities tweeted:
Nimrat Kaur: “Absolutely devastated to hear about the passing of #Sridevi. What a dark black terrible moment in time. Gutted.”
Absolutely devastated to hear about the passing of #Sridevi. What a dark black terrible moment in time. Gutted.
— Nimrat Kaur (@NimratOfficial) February 24, 2018
Sushmita Sen tweeted: “I just heard Ma’am Sridevi passed away due to a massive cardiac arrest. I am in shock…can’t stop crying…”
I just heard Ma’am Sridevi passed away due to a massive cardiac arrest. I am in shock…cant stop crying…
— sushmita sen (@thesushmitasen) February 24, 2018
Madhur Bhandarkar tweeted: “Unbelievable Shocking & Heartbreaking to hear about the demise of #Sridevi, one of the talented Actress of Indian Cinema. Prayers and strength to the family. #OmShanti”
— Madhur Bhandarkar (@imbhandarkar) February 24, 2018
Priyanka Chopra: “I have no words. Condolences to everyone who loved #Sridevi. A dark day. RIP.”
I have no words. Condolences to everyone who loved #Sridevi . A dark day . RIP
— PRIYANKA (@priyankachopra) February 24, 2018
Here are some facts about the star:
- Sridevi was born in the year 1963, to Ayyapan Yanger and Rajeswari Yanger, and was named Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan. Her father was a lawyer.
- The actor started her career at the tender age of 4, in Thirumugham’s devotional ﬁlm, Thunaivan (1969). She was a child artiste in the ﬁlm, Julie (1975). With Solva Saavan, Sridevi made her foray into Bollywood as the lead actor in 1979.
- She was down with fever and had 103 degrees temperature, when she was shooting for the popular song Na Jaane Kaha Se Aayi Hai in Chalbaaz (1989).
- Sridevi did playback singing for ﬁlms such as Sadma (1983), Chandni (1989), Garajna (1991) and Kshana Kshanam (1991).
- Sridevi was considered to play a brief role in Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park (1993). However, she declined the offer as was busy with Bollywood projects.
- Sridevi’s mother tongue is Tamil; so she faced difﬁculty in speaking Hindi, when she joined Bollywood. Yesteryear actor Naaz used to dub for her. In Aakhiri Raasta (1986), Rekha dubbed for her. The ﬁrst time Sridevi dubbed for her role was in Chandni (1989).
- Jaya Prada was considered Sridevi’s strongest competitor and the two actors didn’t share a cordial relationship. During the shoot of Maqsad (1984), Rajesh Khanna and Jeetendra decided to break the ice between them and locked them up in a room hoping that they would make peace. But when they opened the door, both Sridevi and Jaya were sitting silently in the two corners of the room.
- For two of the most important ﬁlms in her life, Sridevi was the second choice. Nagina (1986) was ﬁrst offered to Jaya Prada and Rekha was considered for Chandni.
- Sridevi actually spelt her name as Sreedevi, but she never corrected the spelling of her name in ﬁlm credits.