Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah presented his 12th budget in Bengaluru. Here are the major highlights from his budget speech:
* High end motorbikes, above Rs 1 lakh, to become expensive as MVT increased to 18 per cent from 12 per cent.
* Namma canteen to serve breakfast for Rs 5 and lunch for Rs 10. Like Namma Canteen in Bengaluru, Saviruchi Mobile Canteens in all 30 districts through Zilla Stree Shakthi associations.
* VAT on wine, beer, wine and hard liquor lifted.
* BMTC to induct 3000 more buses, out of which 150 will be run on electricity, 50 electric buses for Mysuru.
* Government to regulate multiplexes by making the maximum entry fee at Rs 200.
* Mandatory screening of Kannada and regional language films in one screen of multiplex cinemas in prime time between 1.30 pm to 7.30 pm.
* 150 Electric Buses will be introduced in Bengaluru City and 50 Electric Buses in Mysuru.
* Free laptops for 1st year engineering, medical, polytechnic and first grade colleges proposed.
* With the controversial steel bridge shelved, budget proposes widening of Hebbal flyover and construction of an under bridge at a cost of Rs 88 crore.
* Bengaluru Development Authority to complete 3000 flats by end of 2017-18
* For decongestion of traffic in Bengaluru city, PWD to develop 150 km road through K’taka Road development corporation at a cost of Rs 1455 crore.
* New airports to be built in Karwara, Madikeri and Chikkamagaluru.
* Govt to set up film city in Himmavu in Mysuru for the development of Kannada film industry.
* Rs 150 crore will be made available to BBMP for railway over bridge and under bridge construction to enable uninterrupted movement of vehicles.
* One ambulance service will be provided for a radius of 10 to 15 km.
* Wenlok hospital, Mangaluru will be upgraded at a cost of Rs 10 crore.
* Dialysis centres to be established in 114 talukas. Blood Transfusion Units to be set up in 10 district hospitals.
* Five super specialty hospitals proposed in Davanagere, Ramanagara, Tumakuru, Vijayapura and Kolar for cancer and heart disease treatment.
* Approval granted for Bengaluru Dr BR Ambedkar School of Economics (BASE) on the lines of London School of Economics.
* Shoes, socks, chudidhars for girl students from class 8 to 10, spectacles and story books with social message proposed for school children.