Prince Charles and Williams refused to meet Trump
London: Even as stories on how Donald Trump insulted the Queen of England did the rounds across the globe, the US President got a ‘royal snub’ when the British royal family showed no interest in meeting him, a newspaper has claimed.
The heir to the British throne Prince Charles and his son William refused to meet Trump during his four-day UK trip. This is why the Queen was left alone to meet Trump in Windsor Castle on Friday.
According to the Sunday Times, the first two in line to the throne made it clear that they did not wish to be present at the meeting, the newspaper claimed.
“This business of Prince Charles and Prince William not being there for the Trump visit was a snub. They simply refused to attend. It’s a very, very unusual thing for the Queen to be there on her own,” a source told the Sunday Times.
The newspaper described it as a “royal snub” and pointed out that in 2016 Barack Obama had a private dinner at Kensington Palace with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry as well.
Charles is upset with Trump over climate change concerns. The two hold divergent views on climate change, with the US President having declared global warming as a hoax and withdrawn from the Paris climate change agreement, while Charles campaigns on the risks of climate change and has co-authored a book on the topic. Charles has been stepping in for Prince
Philip of late, who is 97 and recently had a hip replacement and retired from his royal duties last year.
But Buckingham Palace refuted claims that Trump had insulted the Queen by refusing to bow and walked in front of her when inspecting the guard. “It is an entirely personal choice whether you bow in front of the Queen. There was a slight confusion about which sides both were meant to be on when they inspected the guard but it was resolved quickly,” the palace said.